Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
- Nothing to eat or drink (including water) after midnight the night before surgery. You may, however, brush your teeth and rinse out your mouth the morning of surgery.
- Must have a legal guardian (if minor) or responsible adult to accompany you to the surgery. This escort must check in with you and remain in the office during surgery.
- Do not drive or operate machinery for at least 24 hours after surgery or while you are taking prescribed pain medications.
- It is recommended that a responsible adult remain with you at home to assist with post-op care.
- Do not wear eye makeup, fingernail polish, jewelry, or contact lenses to your surgery.
- Wear a short sleeve shirt or loose fitting clothing that sleeves can be rolled up past the elbow, no flip-flops, and no high heels.
- Leave cell phones OFF and with your escort during surgery. The use of cell phones and recording devices are strictly prohibited in all clinical areas.
- If you develop cold or other health problems before surgery, please call the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please call our office prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- No smoking day of surgery. It is recommended to cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to day of surgery.
- Do not consume alcohol within 48 hours or utilize recreational drugs (including Marijuana, Cocaine, Heroin, etc) 14 days prior to surgery as this may cause anesthetic complications including death.
- Most patients require day of surgery and two days after surgery recovery time.